Persuasive Orals

I have just finished an 8 week contract as teacher/librarian. In this role I had the pleasure to be teaching just one year 10 English class. It was a double pleasure to know that I had already taught this class of students for history in a previous 5 week contract so I was familiar with the their basic abilities and classroom engagement. I warned out the students very early on, that I intended to invest all my energies into preparation and progress of these lessons as this was the only ‘teaching’ subject I had to focus on for the next 8 weeks. (Usually I have to spread my workload across 5-6 separate subjects/lessons). The students greeted this news with groans or sarcastic ‘yays’.

We crammed a lot into 8 weeks, considering 1  week was taken up with their work experience placement. We completed a recount, a persuasive oral and an exam. I would’ve liked 8 weeks to cover either the recount OR the persuasive oral, but then on the other hand I think that sometimes the more time you allocate to a task, the slower the students work – both in class and in their own time. The persuasive oral presentation seemed to be one task that proved my ‘less time available, less wasted time,’ theory.

The students had 3 weeks  to; review the persuasive oral genre (let’s face it they have been doing these for multiple subject purposes since primary school), research information and points of view for their chosen topic, and compose their presentation ready for presentation. I provided graphic organisers for the thinking and planning stage, library time for research opportunities and theory on how to approach the style requirements of this genre. Upon reflection the one aspect of this task that I didn’t explicitly teach to, was HOW TO PRESENT. The marking rubric for this task doesn’t offer opportunity to make assessment of the actual presentation, it focuses on the English components of style, structure and language tools. (The mechanics, not the finesse) which is not a criticism of the assessment task but just a statement that demonstrates the focus of the task in this instance. I offered students verbal feedback around this element but always made clear to the presenter and the class audience that it wasn’t an assess-able element. I think the students were able to relax a little more knowing they weren’t going to be judged on how they looked or sounded but on what was in their persuasive argument.

The students as a whole blew me away with both their presentation skills and their audience participation skills. 27 students in 1 week is a big ask of any group and they stepped up and acquitted themselves admirably. I spent all that week, and the next, extolling their praises to anyone who would listen and I would love to showcase the highlights here, but sadly that would be breaking my promise to them that I would not publish their presentations. (oh the irony… that 15 year olds will publish a gazzillion ‘selfies’ but will flatly refuse to showcase an outstanding oral presentation that represents their hard work and opinions!- *sigh*).

TIPS FOR PRESENTING

TIPS FOR PRESENTING

If (when) I do this topic again I have one more resource I would like to offer my students to assist with their presentation skills. I just wish I had had this infographic  BEFORE this unit of work. I think all students deserve the opportunity to learn how to speak in public, on a topic that they are passionate about, with confidence. We’re not all born with this confidence but I most certainly believe that you can learn some basic skills that will help you to convey confidence even if you are shaking in your shoes. Fake it ’til you make it. In hindsight I know I spoke to the students at length about the element of physical presence, but that’s not the same as giving them something to take away for themselves to keep, reflect on, and refer back to.

This poster presents some of my oral remarks and comments as key points more succinctly, and in a format that makes sense to the learners of today.

One thought on “Persuasive Orals

1. The graphic organiser is very clear, without any fluff. Good choice! And the slideshare is great too. 🙂 I wish I could have seen some of these presentations.